Wednesday, June 29, 2005

THINGS THAT GO BUMP IN THE NIGHT

2:15 am.

Thump, thump, thump.

(pause)

Thump, thump, thump.

I finally emerge from my dream about playing basketball to realize that sound is NOT me showing off stunning dribbling ability, but is coming from the wall I share with the people on the other side of the duplex.

Thump, thump, thump.

(pause)

Thump, thump, thump.

Ah, no! Don't tell me I'm listening to middle of the night romance!!

I pile pillows over my head. She is quite large, to the point where she's disabled. That was not an image I wanted in my head.

Thump, thump, thump.

(pause)

Thump, thump, thump.

Then I realize the rhythm is not right for that.

Thump, thump, thump.

(pause)

Thump, thump, thump.

I had fallen asleep with my TV on, maybe the sound is too loud and they are banging on the wall to get my attention. So I turn off the TV.

Thump, thump, thump.

(pause)

Thump, thump, thump.

This is odd. I haven't heard much out of their side of the duplex. In fact, I found them to be oddly quiet. But quiet neighbors are a good thing, so I just thanked my lucky stars and kept unpacking.

Thump, thump, thump.

(pause)

Thump, thump, thump.


I wonder if someone is in need of help. Maybe she rolled on top of him and then died. He's trapped underneath a mountain of wife, desperately trying to get help.

Thump, thump, thump.

(pause)

Thump, thump, thump.

I get up and put my ear to the wall. I can faintly hear the sounds of a baby whining. Then I realize what I'm hearing. Apparently the room on the other side of the wall is their baby boy's room. He's awake, lying in his crib and is kicking the wall. My maternal spidey sense tells me those whines are teething whines. He's the right age.

Finally, I hear the sounds of someone going to his aid.

I go back to bed and return to my hoop dreams, which is odd. I've never played basketball before.

4 comments:

MrFisher said...

I heard those same strange thumpings a few weeks ago.

Every morning after my shower, about 6:00, I'd be sitting in the living room sipping coffee and watching the news and I'd hear the "thump, thump, thump". I thought it was someone working outside and trying to beat the heat. But then I thought, damn they're at it awful early. That's weird. Didn't think anything else about it. I always feed Aiden (baby) a little before 7:00, then head off to work. After a few days I finally began to make the connection. When I get him up the Thumping stops. Hmmmm, I'm slow. So, I guess my shower was waking him up, or his hunger, or his teething, or who knows where I was going with this?

Oh yeah, I know the thumper well, I've got me one.

Graz said...

I heard thumping early this morning....turned out to be the dog in his kennel......I don't think he was teething though....

Anonymous said...

sly ... sweetpea ... where are you? I'm twitching over here waiting for the next installment.

Anonymous said...

Hey Slyeyes,

Your blog "THINGS THAT GO BUMP IN THE NIGHT", leads me to believe you will find my information on baby boys names and other baby subjects to be beneficial.

You are also welcome to publish your own experiences on babies in my free directory ... sharing your knowledge will help others and you also get the benefit of recognition and a valuable backlink to your own blog. If you have a few minutes to spare, please have a look at my articles on babies names and baby stuff now!

Best Wishes
Emily