Sunday, July 10, 2005

But the Rent Check Cleared

One of my favorite parts of going on vacation is going back home, entering the door for the first time in a week or so. Having lived in this house for just 8 days before leaving on vacation, I still had that same sense of anticipation. True, I was kind of hoping elves had come in while I was gone and had unpacked everything. Additionally, since Meghan had left to work in the Adirondacks before I moved, this was her first time seeing the new place since the move.

Imagine our frustration when we couldn't get into the house. In my desire to ensure burglars couldn't get in while we were gone, I somehow ensured we couldn't get in, either. As we went from door to door, unsuccessfully trying each one, Meghan was beginning to doubt we actually lived here.

The front and side doors were locked with dead bolts that could ony be opened from the inside. I also locked the garage door. I had left through the back basement door, and that is how I expected to re-enter. For some reason, that door will not open. I was able to open the door to the garage on the other side of the duplex. They obviously aren't as careful (paranoid?) as I. We were able to get in to the house from the neighbor's garage.

BUT, I still can't open the basement door, and it took quite some time to get the garage door opened, even after it was unlocked. While we were gone, the landlord had painted the doors and apparently, painted them shut. Finally, with both Meghan and I working at it, the garage door opened.

But now I have to worry about the weak link in the chain; my neighbor's garage door. But if they did lock their garage door, then I could potentially be in big trouble.

No comments: