Thursday, June 23, 2005

A MOVING EXPERIENCE

One thing about moving, it certainly makes you self-centered for awhile. At some point in time, we've all done it. Some of us move more than others. All of us have our favorite moving stories.

One of my favorite stories was one my daughter told. She was moving a twin bed across town when she was in college. She told me she loaded it into her Cavalier. I did not see how that was possible. She explained that she lowered the seat back from the trunk, lowered the front passenger seat, loaded the mattress and box springs in through the trunk and left the trunk opened. A friend drove the car while she leaned over the back of the the passenger seat to hold on to everything. She explained that basically, her a$$ was bouncing on the roof of the car as they drove through town with the mattress bouncing up and down at the end.

Things a parent doesn't want to know.

I had some last minute things to take care of this morning -- refrigerator, my bed and bathroom,etc. As I was loading things up, I realized I was feeling somewhat like a fleeing refuge. I was throwing things into a trashbag, trying to get things done as quickly as possible. It was almost like "Quick! The communists are coming! We have to catch the last helicopter out of Kirkwood. Hurry! Hurry!"

And now it's a case of hurry up and wait. And I just had a call from the phone company. They are at the new place and fortunately there is someone there to let them in. They are getting ready to hook me up over there, so I'll be losing my phone and DSL here soo

No comments: