Saturday, July 16, 2005

I'VE BEEN TAGGED -- FINISHED PRODUCT

Polly PI and I were outside playing hide and go seek. She snuck up behind me hiding behind the lilac bush, tapped me on the shoulder and ran away shouting "Tag! You're It and I'm The Girl with the Sparkly Pants!" She always switches games in the middle. I think it's her way of cheating to make sure she always wins.

(By the way, Polly is a former federal agent/former Medical Examiner/current Private Investigator and lingerie saleswoman at Carson Pirie Scott on State Street in Chicago. -- Some, all or none of the above may or may not have been made up)

So, here's my turn at this Internet meme (what's a meme?).


1 - Imagine it’s 2015. You are visiting the library at a major research university. You go over to a computer terminal (or whatever it is they use in 2015) that gives you immediate access to any book or journal article on any topic you want. What do you look up? In other words, what do you hope somebody will have written in the meantime?

I would look see if there had been any advances in mental health, both in the social acceptance of it as a disease and in the diagnosis and treatment. Then I would see if anything new has been developed to make it easier to cyberstalk old boyfriends. However, by 2015, my best bet for finding most of them would be to look through cemetary records....that is, if I could remember all of their names.

2 - What is the strangest thing you’ve ever heard or seen at a conference? No names, please. Refer to “Professor X” or “Ms. Y” if you must. Double credit if you were directly affected. Triple if you then said or did something equally weird.

Haha. I went to a forensic facial reconstruction conference so that I could learn to rebuild a face on a skull ---- Oh, wait. That was Polly's answer. I mean what can get stranger, weirder or neater than skulls? Um, I apparently slept through all of my conferences 'cause I can't think of anything. Other than finding new ways to conduct legal research, I got nuttin'. Oh, one kindamaybesorta interesting thing I learned at a seminar in dealing with work stress was tips on avoiding "Aunt Ninny". She's the voice in your head who only shows up AFTER you've made a decision and committed to an action. "Is that what you really want to do? How about this? Why didn't you think of that?" We were advised to ignore Aunt Ninny because you can never win with her in your head.

3 - Name a writer, scholar, or otherwise worthy person you admire so much that meeting him or her would probably reduce you to awestruck silence.

Maya Angelou. That woman is AMAZING!!!! All of the languages she's learned, her creativity and insight --- I am totally awestruck by her. I know someone who had lunch with her. This woman has a list of things to do in life and one of them was to have coffee with Maya Angelou -- and she ended up having lunch with her at Maya's home!!!!!

And, like Polly, I met Dave Barry along with Ridley Pearson. Beforehand, the three of us had a fun and sparkling converstion and they were so taken by my wit and charm that they invited me to join them and their wives later for drinks. When my Walter Mitty Moment was over and it was my turn to have them sign my books, I could barely remember my name.

I had a second chance the next night at an RBR concert. My friends and I were down in the moshpit and Dave comes dancing by with his guitar. I whipped out my cellphone to take his pic; only to get the message "memory card is full." I was so busy trying to delete enough to take a picture that I didn't get to enjoy the moment. My friend got to talk to him, and he told her that he had difficulty dancing, talking and playing guitar all at the same time, then he danced away, back on stage as my cellphone was asking me "are you sure you want to delete this file?" Booger!


4 - What are two or three blogs or other Web sites you often read that don’t seem to be on many people’s radar?


Christoblog Check out his columns and the Weekly Newz as well.

And Leetie; except that I wish she would update more often. (HINT!)


Now, who to pass this on to....

Leetie

Mr. Fisher from Will Blog for Guiness

and

Marie, the multi-national in Barcelona from Two To Tango
.....have fun, y'all!

2 comments:

Leetie said...

I'd update more if I had a more interesting life or if I could find more interesting things to link to as I scour the internet daily... but I'll work on it.

MrFisher said...

[DING!] FRIES ARE DONE.